The GPTC New Play Conference
May 28th – June 3rd, 2023
The New Play Conference was founded in 2006 by Metropolitan Community College, and continues, now that the GPTC is its own nonprofit, as a vibrant community partnership between the two organizations. The conference takes place each spring at the Swanson Conference Center on MCC’s historic Fort Omaha Campus. (Map)
Each year, the Conference helps to develop a group of new plays that are selected from a pool of around 1000 submissions. During the Conference, local and national playwrights, actors, directors, dramaturgs, designers and Omaha community members, share a week of stories, workshops, readings, meals, performances and celebrations. All public conference events are free to attend.
- Theatre WorkShops, Luncheon Panels and daily PlayLab Series readings comprise the foundation of the Conference.
- Dramaturgy is provided by national dramaturgs for each playwright, to providing support before, during and after the Conference
- PlayFest is our season of new works and seeks to give voice to the stories that have the power to unite and inspire diverse audiences.
- Design Wing brings five emerging designers from across the country to become immersed in the play development from a visual perspective.
- Young Dramatists Fellowship Program provides local high school playwrights with access to some of the country’s top plays and playwrights.
GPTC invites and welcomes a number of distinguished and nationally known playwrights, directors and actors each year. These guest artists are in place to nurture and mentor new and emerging playwrights and Conference attendees through various workshops, PlayLab feedback sessions and seminars.